The rise in addiction to modern day technology and unhealthy food and its effects on children and families was the main focus of a recent Changing Childhood Conference in Burnavon Arts Centre, Cookstown. The conference brought together 90 professionals from community, voluntary and statutory agencies to help provide more support to staff and families dealing with these issues.
Selena Ramsey, Locality Planner in the Northern Area welcomed delegates to the conference and said, “This was a great event and covered many of the topics which we regularly hear children, young people and their parents are facing on a daily basis. Evaluations from the conference noted that it was very thought provoking and considerable learning was noted”.
Presentations from the conference:
- Food and Mood for Mental Health – Life Therapies Clinic
- How Modern Day Family Life Has Changed – South West College
- Raising Happy Resilient Young People – Fresh Little Minds
- Mindfulness and Parenting in a Tech-Addicted World – The Happy Warrior
- What Technology Does to You – The Happy Warrior
- Family Media Plan – The Happy Warrior
Upcoming 8 week Mindfulness Courses with The Happy Warrior
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
Dates: Fridays (6.00 to 8.00PM) – 23, 30 June 7, 14, 21, 28 July 4, 11 August 2017
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
Dates: Fridays (6.00 to 8.00PM) – 8, 15, 22, 29 September 6, 13, 20, 27 October 2017
For further information about the conference contact Selena Ramsey, Northern Area Locality Planner by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 028 2563 6608